Becoming an Australian Citizen
For all information on how to become an Australian citizen visit
the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's website
or phone 131 880.
In summary, the steps to follow to become an Australian Citizen are:
- Check your eligibility for citizenship on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's website or phone 131 880.
- If your eligibility is confirmed by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, lodge your application for citizenship with the Department.
- If you meet the eligibility requirement, an appointment to sit the citizenship test will be made for you by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
- Once you complete your citizenship test, await confirmation from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection that your application has been successful (allow 30-60 days).
- You will receive an invitation by post from Byron Shire Council confirming the date and venue for the next citizenship ceremony. Six ceremonies are held approximately every two months and you will receive your invitation about a month before the ceremony. If your postal address has changed since you lodged your application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, please let the Department know to ensure you receive your invitation.
- Confirm your attendance at the ceremony with Byron Shire Council and advise the number of guests you would like to bring with you to the citizenship ceremony. If you are unable to attend, please be sure to let Council know so we can advise the Department and make arrangements to include you in the next ceremony. Note: You have up to 12 months from the date your citizenship application was approved to make a Pledge of Commitment at a citizenship ceremony.
2017 Citizenship Ceremony Dates
Citizenship ceremonies are held on a Tuesday at Byron Shire Council Chambers, 70-90 Station Street, Mullumbimby.
New Citizens are asked to arrive at 2.40pm to register. The ceremonies commence at 3.00pm and are approximately forty minutes long.
The official ceremony for Australia Day celebrations is held at a different location within the Shire each year. Australia Day is always celebrated on the day - 26 January - and the time and location is advertised prior. The citizenship dates for this year are:
26 January (Australia Day)
Citizenship ceremonies are conducted by the Mayor of Byron Shire, Councillor Simon Richardson. Entertainment is provided by a local musician.
The presentation of a Citizenship Certificate is the final step to becoming an Australian Citizen.
Local Members of Parliament are invited to join the ceremony and a representative from the Australian Electoral Commission may be on hand to assist new Citizens to register to vote.
Family and friends are welcome to join the celebrations.
For further enquiries about Citizenship Ceremonies at Byron Shire Council please contact David Royston-Jennings on 02 6626 7171.