A panel is a group consisting of Councillors and specialist key stakeholders, with a particular interest in or expertise in the subject of the panel, which will assist Council in decision making relating to a particular matter. Panels do not have any executive power or authority to implement actions and all recommendations from these panels are reported to Council via a staff report for decision.
Panels are usually appointed for a 4 year term in line with Council elections unless otherwise resolved by Council.
The purpose of the Heritage Panel is to provide support and advice to Council to assist its operations on heritage matters.
Actions of the Panel that can assist to achieve this include:
- Assisting Council in the development of policies and strategies including the preparation of a Heritage Strategy and the management of natural and cultural heritage generally in Byron Shire local government area.
- Advising Council staff, the Heritage Adviser and the Council on matters relating to the ongoing implementation of the Heritage Strategy (once completed).
- Assisting Council to procure and allocate funding assistance and to recommend projects for which funding should be sought in line with the Heritage Strategy (once completed).
- Providing access to the general community to distribute information and for public input into heritage management, eg, to nominate additional properties for assessment of heritage significance.
- Advising Council on a range of heritage-related matters which are of interest to the community, in particular, by providing expertise, local knowledge and guidance on heritage matters and in relation to heritage assessments.
2018 Meeting Dates
Membership is to include:
3 Councillor Representatives:
And until further notice:
1 representative from each of the Shire’s known historical societies being:
- Brunswick Valley /Mullumbimby Historical Society - Mr Chris Cooney
- Bangalow - Mr Don Osborne
- Byron Bay Historical Society representative - Mr Donald Maughan
- 1 representative each from:
- the Bundjalung of Byron Bay Aboriginal Corporation (Arakwal) - Sharon Sloane
- Tweed Byron Local Aboriginal Council - Leweena Williams
- Jali Aboriginal Land Council - Mr Mik Smith
- Janet Kneale
- Joe Vescio
- Robyn Wright
Council may appoint an alternate for any Panel member position as recommended by the Heritage Panel.
Note: The Director of Sustainable Environment and Economy or a staff delegate and Council’s Heritage Advisor will be available to attend to provide technical advice and guidance but will not have any voting entitlements on the panel.
- Director Sustainable Environment and Economy
Agenda and Minutes for the Heritage Panel can be found here