Construction Certificate for subdivision works
What is subdivision work?
The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EP & A Act) sets out the laws under which development in NSW takes place.
The EP&A Act defines subdivision work as any physical activity authorised to be carried out under the conditions of a development consent for the subdivision of land. A development consent that enables the subdivision of land may authorise the carrying out of any physical activity in, on, under or over land in connection with the subdivision, including the construction of roads and stormwater drainage systems.
Subdivision work includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- road work, including pavement and finishing,
- stormwater drainage work,
- landscaping work,
- erosion and sedimentation control work,
- structural work (eg. retaining walls, bridges, etc.),
- work associated with driveways and parking bays, including pavement and finishing.
When can I start work?
Subdivision work can not be commenced until the following matters have been addressed (together with other matters specified in the EP & A Act):
- a construction certificate for the subdivision work has been issued, and
- a principal certifying authority for the subdivision work has been appointed.
How do I get a Construction Certificate?
To obtain a construction certificate for the subdivision works from Council, a completed application form must be lodged with Council and is to include the following:
detailed engineering plans and specifications of the subdivision works compliant with conditions of development consent and Council’s adopted engineering standards, currently the Northern Rivers Local Government Development Design and Construction Manuals which can be found here .
- a completed construction certificate checklist (see application form);
- a letter addressing each of the conditions of the development consent, together with evidence of how these conditions have been satisfied;
- details as to which public authorities have been consulted with for the provision of utility services to the land; and
- payment of the appropriate application fees and charges, which can be found here .
Application forms are available from Council’s Customer Services Centre or may be downloaded here (
Application form - Construction Certificate for Subdivision works