Development of the 2010 draft Coastal Zone Management Plan for Byron Shire Coastline
The 2010 draft Coastal Zone Management Plan (CZMP) for Byron Shire Coastline was prepared in accordance with the process set out in the NSW Coastline Management Manual (1990) and involved the following steps:
- Step 1 - Establish Coastline Management Committee
- Step 2 - Conduct background studies
- Step 3 - Prepare Coastline Management Study
- Step 4 - Prepare draft Coastal Zone Management Plan
A copy of the studies completed towards developing the 2010 draft CZMP for Byron Shire Coastline are provided below:
- Byron Coastline Values Study (2000) 1.54 MB
- Byron Coastline Hazard Definition Study (2000)
- Byron Coastline Management Study (2004) 7.1 MB
- Scoping Study on the feasibility to access the Cape Byron Sand Lobe for Sand Extraction for Beach Nourishment (2006) 2.26 MB
A public meeting was held in the Council Chambers in Mullumbimby on Friday 6 November 2009 to discuss the proposed draft Byron Shire Coastal Zone Management Plan, a recording of which can be found at:
The draft 2010 CZMP for Byron Shire Coastline was prepared and forwarded to the NSW Minister for Climate Change and the Environment for approval under the Coastal Protection Act 1979 .
On 14 April the 2011 draft CZMP for Byron Shire Coastline was withdrawn from the Minister as per Council resolution 11-276.