Sandcruiser Beach Wheelchair
A Sandcruiser Beach Wheelchair is now available to use in Byron Shire and is located at the Brunswick Valley Community Centre opposite the Brunswick Heads Surf Life Saving Club.
The Sandcruiser Beach Wheelchair is available for free public use, ensuring access to the beach for everyone.
What is the Sandcruiser Beach Wheelchair?
‘The Sandcruiser’ is the latest model beach wheelchair. It is the only beach wheelchair recommended by the Therapeutic Goods Association and is also recommended by the Disabled Surfers Association of Australia.
It has large, wide tyres which make light work of loose sand and with rear wheel steering, this chair can pivot easily. It is ideal for people who have mobility limitations, including those with permanent disability, temporary disability or those with reduced mobility due to age.
- Hire of the Beach Wheelchair is free, however the user/carer must read the User Guidelines and sign a Loan and Indemnity Agreement form before the beach wheelchair can be used.
- Bookings are essential.
- Loan of the chair must be arranged by telephone at least 24 hours in advance.
- The wheelchair can be booked for the morning or afternoon or by arrangement with the Caretaker.
- The user/carer has the responsibility to look after the chair at all times whilst in their care.
- The user/carer must return the beach wheelchair to the storage facility in the same condition it left, complete the check-in form, and return the key to the Caretaker, within arranged time.
- The beach wheelchair must be washed down ready for the next user.
- Any damage or maintenance needs must be reported immediately.
For General enquiries please contact Byron Shire Council on 02 6626 7000 .
To Book the Sandcruiser Beach Wheelchair
Contact Fran Leske on 02 6685 1498
Brunswick Valley Community Centre opposite the Brunswick Heads SLSC
Available Monday to Friday between 8am and 4.30pm with discretionary room for adjustment by the caretaker and depending on weather conditions.
Weekends and Public Holidays
Also available on some weekends and public holidays from the Brunswick Heads SLSC (Summer season and when on duty). Phone the Clubhouse on 02 6685 1273. If no answer ring Craig on 0414 842 783.
Note: Please be aware that the business/services above have generously volunteered to act as caretakers for the beach wheelchair and sometimes may be difficult to contact when they are busy.