Water and sewer usage charges

All properties connected to Council water supply and sewer services system will be charged a usage charge.

Usage is recorded by way of a meter connected to the property. All water used by Residential properties will be charged based on an inclining tariff with the first 450 kl per reading year being charged at a rate of $2.47 per kilolitre (1,000 litres)  and all usage above 450kl per reading year charged at the rate of $3.70 per kilolitre. Non-residential properties will be charged at the rate of $2.65 for all water used.

Residential sewerage usage is charged for all water recorded through the meter at a rate of $1.85 per kilolitre (1,000 litres).

Non-residential sewerage usage is calculated using the Sewer Discharge Factor which applies to the property. The discharge factor is applied to the total water usage and reflects the percentage of water which is discharged into sewerage system. The sewer usage charge for non-residential properties is $2.47.

Liquid trade waste is calculated using the Liquid Trade Waste Discharge Factor applicable to the property applied to the total water usage. Liquid trade waste usage charge is $2.24.

Water meter accessibility

Please ensure that the water meter on your property is easy to access (ie not overgrown with gardens etc). If the meter cannot be found or read, usage charges may be averaged based on previous meter readings and the owner may be charged an estimate read fee and may be liable for costs incurred if Council is required to clear the meter.

If your water meter is not easily accessed due to fences, locked gates or the presence of dogs, you should contact Council in order to arrange alternative access or remote reading options.

Pension rebates

Ratepayers who are eligible pensioners may be entitled to a concession off the water usage charges. The major portion of the Pension Rebate is granted on the Water Fixed Charge which is levied on your Rates and Charges Notice.

How to pay your water and sewer usage charges

Direct Debit

This is a cost free, stress-free method of payment which allows Council to debit your bank/credit union/building society account. Payments of your water and sewer usage accounts via Direct Debit can be quarterly; or by payment in full; or by an agreed arrangement with Council each week, fortnight or month. The amount payable will be automatically deducted from your nominated account on the due date for payment.

Simply request an application form by downloading the Direct Debit Request form . Complete and return the form to Council or alternatively contact Council’s Rating Team on 02 6626 7007, and a form will be forwarded to you.

Online payments

You can pay your Water and Sewer Usage Account online using Mastercard or Visa. Payment can be made on Council’s website www.byron.nsw.gov.au

You will need to click on Online Payments - 'Water Payment' and then enter your reference number before clicking submit. The 7 digit reference number is shown on your Water & Sewer Usage Charge Notice

A Credit Card Surcharge Fee of 0.42% applies.

Over the phone

Pay 24 hours a day, 7 days per week for the cost of a local call, with the exception of mobile phones which will be charged at mobile phone rates, by calling 1300 789 116. MasterCard or Visa cards are accepted. A Credit Card Surcharge Fee of 0.42% applies.


BPAY allows you the opportunity to pay over the phone, or through the Internet, from your cheque or savings account (credit cards cannot be used via this facility).

Please quote Biller Code 747113 and your 7 digit Reference Number which is shown on the Water & Sewer Usage Charge Notice.

To make use of this option, you must initially contact your financial institution to ensure the BPAY facility is available at that institution.

Payments at Australia Post

Present your account at any Australia Post outlet to pay by cash or cheque or debit card. (No credit card can be used for payment at this facility.)

By mail

Simply include your cheque or money order payable to Byron Shire Council, together with the detachable deposit slip portion of the notice, to:

Byron Shire Council
PO Box 219
Mullumbimby  NSW  2482

In Person

You can pay in person at Council's Customer Service Centre at Station Street, Mullumbimby. Please present your Water and Sewer Usage Charge notice when making payment. You can pay by cash or cheque or use your debit or credit card.

Office hours are Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4:00pm.

Payment due dates

Water meters are read on a quarterly basis and Water and Sewer Usage Charges are levied quarterly. Meters are read in August, November, February and May. The due date for each notice is one month after the posting date of each notice.

What happens if my payment is late?

If your payment is not paid in full by the due date you will be charged interest on the amount owing. The interest charge is simple interest calculated daily, at the rate of 7.5% per annum. Please ensure your payment reaches Council by the due date shown on your notice. If you are paying by mail, you should make allowances for postage time.

I’m having difficulty making my payment!

Council is sympathetic towards ratepayers who have genuine difficulties in meeting their payment deadlines. Should you be in such a position please visit Council in person or contact Council’s Debt Management Officer on 02 6626 7007 in order to discuss your situation and to make a special repayment arrangement.

+612 6626 7000
Full Website